Identified Purposes of the Use of Your Personal Information
Community Insurance Services generally uses personal information to manage and administer our business, including to understand your insurance needs, communicate with you effectively and to provide you with the products and services you request. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- determine your eligibility for, offer and/or provide you with insurance products and services that you request;
- evaluate credit worthiness and monitor, collect premiums and fees;
- verify your identity;
- determine prices, fees and premiums including by evaluating your coverage needs and assessing risk;
- maintain, administer, collect, service and renew your account(s) and assess your ongoing needs for insurance products and services;
- investigate and settle claims;
- determine your eligibility for and offer and provide other products or services that may be of interest to you, such as investment or retirement products or group benefits, unless you ask us not to;
- detect and protect against error or fraud;
- compile statistics and conduct market research;
- maintain business records for reasonable periods;
- meet legal, regulatory, self-regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements; and
- otherwise with consent or as permitted or required by law.
In some cases, refusing to provide certain Personal Information or withdrawing consent for Community Insurance Services to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information could mean that we cannot provide you with insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information.
Limiting Collection, Retention and Disclosure of Personal Information
Community Insurance Services will only collect, use or disclose Personal Information that is necessary for the Identified Purposes or as required by law. If we require Personal Information for any other purpose, you will be notified of the new purpose, and subject to your consent that new purpose will become an Identified Purpose. Community Insurance Services will only collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means. We will retain Personal Information only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the Identified Purposes.
Disclosure to Affiliates. Personal information may be disclosed to our affiliates (including outside of Canada) for internal audit, management, billing or administrative purposes. We may also disclose personal information to our affiliates so that they may send you information about their products and services. However, if you do not want your personal information disclosed for these marketing purposes, you may contact us at any time as described further below.
Service Providers. Community Insurance Services may transfer personal information to outside agents or service providers (including affiliates of Community Insurance Services) that perform services on our behalf. The services that may be performed by our agents or service providers consist of data processing, data warehousing or administrative services, or otherwise to collect, use, disclose, store or process personal information on our behalf for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Some of these service providers or affiliates may be located outside of Canada and your personal information may be collected, used, disclosed, stored and processed in the United States or elsewhere outside of Canada for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Reasonable contractual or other measures we may take to protect your personal information while processed or handled by these service providers are subject to legal requirements in Canada, the United States and other foreign countries applicable to our affiliates, agents and service providers, for example lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government authorities in those countries.
Business Transactions. Personal information may be used by Community Insurance Services and disclosed to parties connected with the proposed or actual financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of Community Insurance Services or our business or assets, for the purposes of evaluating and/or performing the proposed transaction. These purposes may include, as examples:
- Permitting those parties to determine whether to proceed or continue with the transaction; and fulfilling reporting, inspection or audit requirements or obligations to those parties.
- Assignees or successors of Community Insurance Services or our business or assets may use and disclose your personal information for similar purposes as those described in this Privacy Statement.
Limited Sharing of Your Personal Information To:
- Operators of insurance industry databases for the purpose of verifying the application information you submit;
- Your insurance broker for the purpose of your broker providing services to you,
- Independent insurance adjusters and brokers for the purpose of obtaining assistance in processing and administering your claims;
- Governmental authorities, claims investigation service providers, medical organizations, other vendors, other insurance carriers, re-insurers, and regulatory organizations for the purpose of assisting in the investigation and processing of claims;
- Other persons for whom you have provided your consent, for the purposes, and;
- As otherwise permitted or required by law.
Your knowledge and consent of Community Insurance Services’ collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information is critical. We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and future Personal Information practices:
- Your voluntary provision of Personal Information directly to Community Insurance Services through one of our representatives for the purpose of acquiring an insurance contract or related service or product (including information previously provided to Community Insurance Services);
- Your express consent or acknowledgment contained within a written, verbal or electronic application process;
- Your consent solicited by Community Insurance Services for a specified purpose;
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as a legal guardian, agent or holder of a power of attorney; or
- If you make changes to your policy or when your policy automatically renews, it is inferred that any consent you have previously provided to us relative to your policy remains in effect unless the consent is otherwise withdrawn.
Subject to certain legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, you may withdraw this consent at any time. Community Insurance Services will inform you of the consequences of withdrawing your consent.
Community Insurance Services will maintain your Personal Information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the Identified Purposes.
Requesting Data Deletion
You may make a request that we delete certain Personal Information we hold about you. To do so, please send your request to email@example.com. We may not be able to assist in all cases. Deletion of your data will also be subject to legal, regulatory and contractual considerations. Deletion of your data may also mean that we cannot provide you with insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information.
Community Insurance Services will protect your Personal Information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. We do this by implementing physical, organizational, contractual, and technological security measures to protect your personal information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, and use or modification.
Accountability, Openness and Customer Access
Monica Chan: Privacy Officer
Community Insurance Services
#3 – 4429 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 2A1
If you are not satisfied with Community Insurance Services’ response to a privacy related inquiry or complaint you may contact the office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada during business hours at 1-800-282-1376 or at www.priv.gc.ca